Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Domo!

I first came across the hilarious character Domo Kun while working at Microsoft in the late 90s. He totally cracked me up, and I about flipped my lid when I saw him represented in bentos. I couldn't wait to try my own Domo Bento, and I thought inarizushi would make a perfect little Domo Kun.

This bento has cherry tomatoes from Crescent Moon Farms, a hard boiled quail egg with nori stars, cucumbers, and an inarizushi Domo Kun with olive eyes, and a sweet pepper/swiss cheese mouth. The rice in the inarizushi is a mix of plain sushi rice and a purple rice blend I got at Whole Foods.

I also got this little Domo coin purse in San Francisco Japantown. :) I added this bento to the What's For Lunch Wednesdays blog. Check it out!

12 comments:

  1. I love this one--it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Domo, nice job on him! I love the little clutch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute! I am going to have to try to make one some time. Ben will love the little monster (not sure he knows what Domo is), but the monster should thrill him. :o)

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Holly! It was tasty, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lyndsey! I started laughing when I saw the little Domo coin purses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheri! He's such a great character, and bonus, pretty easy to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shannon! I'm sure that Ben would like Domo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to make Como Kun from inarizushi! Must try out this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kids Dream Work! I would have liked it if he were a little darker, but it was pretty easy to do. Thanks for your nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute and so fun...love the pale green cuke flower and snazzy stars, and also how you've built this bento around a nifty accessory, one of my fave approaches to bentoing :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks bentobird! It is fun to find inspiration in cute objects. :)

    ReplyDelete